Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock tower reinforcement

Shock tower reinforcement

My shock towers are in great condition and I want to keep them that way so when I saw these on fb, I bought some.

There are 4 plates in there so my question is - Do I place one on top and on the bottom of each rear tower?

Or (don't laugh) have I somehow bought 2 lots?

Normally most of the reinforcing plates are just one each side for the top of each strut mount, so two plates.

Looking on the Hillside website, it seems they do top and bottom, so you need 4. This would presumably add extra strength.

Some of their plates have studs so that you can punch out the factory studs on the strut mount and then put their plate with the studs through from the top of the mount and sandwich it underneath. This lets you unbolt the suspension from under the car.

Thanks Luke.

Yeah I was thinking I only had to place 2 plates on top...I haven't tinkered much with shockies so lets hope its not much of a PITA to fit the bottom plates as well.

If it's a pig, only using the top ones wouldn't hurt - this is all the factory did for the Z3 - Z3M etc.

I bought some of these and was going to fit them to the top of my '98 E36, but they wouldn't fit. The centre part was too small in diameter. I keep meaning to get in contact with them.

I haven't heard of people using them at the bottom too. Is there any point as the shock mount itself is pretty much the same shape and size and are strong?
    Last edited by johna; 07-10-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    Now: 1998 E36 318is coupe (supercharged) Past: 1997 E36 318is sedan; 1991 E36 325i sedan; 1994 E36 318is; 1990 E30 318is; 1995 E36 M3; 1990 E30 318is
    My BMW 3 Series Blog | DASC Owners Group on Facebook | Car Magazine Collector | Auto Books and Manuals | 1984 Australian Cannonball Cup

I will start with the tops to see if they even fit then report back.

The tops alone should be sufficient to spread load experienced during daily driving.

Quote Originally Posted by johna View Post
    I haven't heard of people using them at the bottom too. Is there any point as the shock mount itself is pretty much the same shape and size and are strong?
    I've never seen another kit that does top and bottom - maybe they just do is as a point of difference for their kit?

My Noltec (Whiteline) heavy duty rear mounts have very thick top plates on the shock, so a bottom one would be a bit overkill on those.

L O L
    So good news and bad news.

Good news is that I already have reinforcement plates

Right

I had totally forgot as its been a while since I looked at the towers (since I bought the car) and for some reason I remember not having any maybe from staring at the front towers for so long. The plates already on there look superior (bigger) than the Hillside I bought.

The bad news...is that I've now accumulated another set of spares...add this to the growing pile of beamer spares :'( Fortunately the plates aren't mega dollars and I know someone will want them down the track.

While I was there I thought I'd check the fitment of the Hillside ones and they fit:

Other things I did while I was tinkering:
    - Cleaned up my windscreen water jets (some were blocked)
    - Check on my new powersteering reservoir and new low pressure hose (a little bit of leaking but I think it was because I overfilled it, cleaned it up and I will monitor)

The problem I had with mine not fitting was the inside diameter of the large centre ring was to small. You would have to take the nuts off and maybe the other plates to check that.
    Now: 1998 E36 318is coupe (supercharged) Past: 1997 E36 318is sedan; 1991 E36 325i sedan; 1994 E36 318is; 1990 E30 318is; 1995 E36 M3; 1990 E30 318is
    My BMW 3 Series Blog | DASC Owners Group on Facebook | Car Magazine Collector | Auto Books and Manuals | 1984 Australian Cannonball Cup

I hear you Johna. From eyeballing it, it looked to fit but you're right unless I tried bolting it I couldn't say for certain.

Anyone if you know anyone who wants to pick up a cheap set from me and test fit them then gimme a yell

I done the same with my subframe re-enforcement. Bought the kit went to enquire about fitting as a preventative thing and the m3 had them re-enforced already.

Nice to see a non Russian spam thread here. Maybe they do them so the ****s can get your details.
    1974 2002 M10, dogleg 2307cc
    1984 E24 M635csi M88/3 dogleg
    1987 E23 735i M30 auto
    1994 E34 540i M60 6spd supercharged
    1997 E36 M3 S50B32 supercharged (U/C)

Its not as bad as my timing chain parts [email protected] up lol but if you were to judge me on my parts ordering ability you would think I'm a bloody idiot or have money to burn. Neither is true...well the money bit anyway.

The russian spam is getting a bit annoying at least its easy to recognise. I wonder why this forum is particularly rife with the spam...

No idea. It's pretty quiet in here these days and almost to the point it's not worth visiting.
    1974 2002 M10, dogleg 2307cc
    1984 E24 M635csi M88/3 dogleg
    1987 E23 735i M30 auto
    1994 E34 540i M60 6spd supercharged
    1997 E36 M3 S50B32 supercharged (U/C)

^yeh, it's definitely a pale comparison to the EUROCCA glory days. We seem to still get a steady flow of new users signing up, but very few actual contributors....

Quote Originally Posted by Blahusiak View Post
    The russian spam is getting a bit annoying at least its easy to recognise. I wonder why this forum is particularly rife with the spam...
    Seems to be on the increase - I noticed r3v's sub-forums have been overrun with spam the last few weeks.

forums have kinda died since the advent of FB groups, we're dinosaurs now
    E36 3182025M3iS aka "Bitsa" S50B32 - UUC Corsa Exhaust - Wilwood 332X 32 front rotors w/ Wilwood SL's Hawk HT10 Pads - TMS Braided Lines - DGR Coilovers - TMS rear camber arms - -4 FR -2.5 RR - Carbon Fiber Sunroof - Momo mod78 - AGI Half Cage - Road and Race Corner Balance (1160kg) - M3R/ LTW Front Splitter - STW Rear Spoiler - Hard/ STW Center Lock 18X8.5 on 245 Nitto NT01's - 3.91 1.5 way LSD

Thread Information