Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vibration under braking (E36)

you're right to question my commitment to wheel cleaning hahahaha
    E36 3182025M3iS aka "Bitsa" S50B32 - UUC Corsa Exhaust - Wilwood 332X 32 front rotors w/ Wilwood SL's Hawk HT10 Pads - TMS Braided Lines - DGR Coilovers - TMS rear camber arms - -4 FR -2.5 RR - Carbon Fiber Sunroof - Momo mod78 - AGI Half Cage - Road and Race Corner Balance (1160kg) - M3R/ LTW Front Splitter - STW Rear Spoiler - Hard/ STW Center Lock 18X8.5 on 245 Nitto NT01's - 3.91 1.5 way LSD

Quote Originally Posted by johna View Post
    the first mechanic didn't check that there wasn't a second cause of my problem, that the alignment place went to a lot of trouble to undo my tie rods without checking if they were actually worth saving, and that the steering/suspension/brake check I had done wouldn't pick up such a common problem!
    Damn, that's some compounding of shitty mechanics/ workshops...

Quote Originally Posted by nufnsuss View Post
    I'm all for frugal mechanics, but mechanics/workshops are one of those things where I can't see value in taking the cheap option
    ...and aaawaayy!

A conclusion to this thread...

I had the new inner and outer tie rods fitted by a local alignment place and an alignment done, under the instructions that they should check them first to make sure my diagnosis was correct and if not to find the cause of the vibration.

They confirmed the inner joints were bad and did the job.

On the drive home the car was much better but still significant vibration sometimes.

So last night I changed the front rotors and pads. I did a runout check using a highly sophisticated method involving a finger and screwdriver and it appeared to me that both front rotors had a bit of runout. Anyway, new rotors and pads in and so far so good - it's almost perfect. I should probably do the rears too.

In summary, my vibration was caused by control arm ball joints, tie rod inner ball joints, and front rotors.

Lessons learnt: Some garages are crap at diagnosis, they just find the first cause without looking for other additional causes. From now on I'm doing my own fault finding.

Note to @mfyoung, I will be monitoring brake dust levels/wheel cleanliness and let you know. (Damn, forgot to check brand of old pads before I put them in the bin)
    Now: 1998 E36 318is coupe (supercharged) Past: 1997 E36 318is sedan; 1991 E36 325i sedan; 1994 E36 318is; 1990 E30 318is; 1995 E36 M3; 1990 E30 318is
    My BMW 3 Series Blog | DASC Owners Group on Facebook | Car Magazine Collector | Auto Books and Manuals | 1984 Australian Cannonball Cup

well i suppose your pads may have produced such small amounts of dust to the fact that the rotors were so scored your pad contact pad was smaller than it should have been

therefore your braking is better you're welcome deal with the dust

or try a wheel sealer if you're that anal about brake dust lol
    E36 3182025M3iS aka "Bitsa" S50B32 - UUC Corsa Exhaust - Wilwood 332X 32 front rotors w/ Wilwood SL's Hawk HT10 Pads - TMS Braided Lines - DGR Coilovers - TMS rear camber arms - -4 FR -2.5 RR - Carbon Fiber Sunroof - Momo mod78 - AGI Half Cage - Road and Race Corner Balance (1160kg) - M3R/ LTW Front Splitter - STW Rear Spoiler - Hard/ STW Center Lock 18X8.5 on 245 Nitto NT01's - 3.91 1.5 way LSD

Quote Originally Posted by mfyoung1086 View Post
    well i suppose your pads may have produced such small amounts of dust to the fact that the rotors were so scored your pad contact pad was smaller than it should have been

therefore your braking is better you're welcome deal with the dust

or try a wheel sealer if you're that anal about brake dust lol
    You are right, the new brakes feel very nice and powerful. (thanks)

Got the old pads out of the bin and they were Bendix too, though not sure which model.

Best we don't talk about brake dust with the new pads
    Now: 1998 E36 318is coupe (supercharged) Past: 1997 E36 318is sedan; 1991 E36 325i sedan; 1994 E36 318is; 1990 E30 318is; 1995 E36 M3; 1990 E30 318is
    My BMW 3 Series Blog | DASC Owners Group on Facebook | Car Magazine Collector | Auto Books and Manuals | 1984 Australian Cannonball Cup

Thread Information