Thread: Mk5 Golf TDI driveshafts

Mk5 Golf TDI driveshafts

The wife's golf has been making a clicking sound while crawling in stop/start traffic for a while now. You hear it as you come on/off the throttle.
    I figured it was coming from a CV joint. She got a flat this weekend and once the passenger wheel came off I see globs of grease around the inner boot area.
    I didn't look real hard at it today but I'll get under there for a closer look when the puncture gets fixed.

Instead of messing around with new boots and joint kits, I thought I'd just get a complete shaft and replace the lot.

I normally get bits for the VW from RunAutoParts but they don't flog complete shafts.
    I see one to suit on eBay for about $150 but can anyone suggest where else to look?
    BMW E39 530i m-sport
    BMW R1200RTP 2007

I got some spline socket bits arriving tomorrow.
    If they fit the gearbox end OK then I'll be looking at ordering,

Any tips ? Never done a CV before. My BM bikes/cars don't have em.
    Last edited by Celtic; 13-01-2017 at 02:41 AM.
    BMW E39 530i m-sport
    BMW R1200RTP 2007

God I'm so lazy. Got the tools, got the shaft but it's been so hot, I just keep putting this off.
    This arvo I drove the Golf and on the freeway I can now feel it vibrating.
    Better get my act together.
    BMW E39 530i m-sport
    BMW R1200RTP 2007

Finally replaced that shaft. Clicking noise is gone, vibration is gone. Magic.
    BMW E39 530i m-sport
    BMW R1200RTP 2007

Thread Information