Thread: ABS Repair Success ...

ABS Repair Success ...

I own a BMW 07 model R1200RTP. That's an ex Police bike.
    I pulled all the White stuff off the back and replaced it with a proper Top Box and Touring Panniers off an ST model.
    Single seat tourer so in QLD rego is cheap cheap cheap.

These bikes have an issue with the ABS. They have an electric motor on the ABS driving a pump. The front hand lever also engages the rear brakes in a balanced fashion using that electric motor. The motor is totally sealed and water tight. This also means the carbon dust from the brushes has no where to go. It infects the brush carriers, the brushes jam up and contact with the commutator is lost generating an ABS alarm and the ABS is shut down.

Last week-end I pulled the abs out, removed the motor, opened it up and flushed the carbon dust out with contact cleaner. Fixed.

This video helped -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFNkluQ_cbM

BMW charge $4K to replace the ABS unit when it's in fact a design fault.

Cost me $30 odd plus time.
    BMW E39 530i m-sport
    BMW R1200RTP 2007

Thanks for sharing. It really doesn't sound like a design fault, more like planned obsolescence. On a bike, everything has to be watertight. The build up would require a lot of carbon to be worn from the brushes, so they'd likely only fail due to intense use, and probably outside the warranty period even on a police/ambo bike.

BMW AU would see the unit as a wear item, and that is probably why they charge $4k: They just figured out that everyone's gonna need one sooner or later! I'll never forget them trying to charge me >$300 for a pair of M5 lower control arm bushings... that's just as bad or worse when you see what they are, and of course that every e34 owner needs a set, some quite regularly.
    Last edited by Nutza; 16-09-2016 at 01:53 AM.
    Best, Nutza

... still looking for a set of these to go with the 540!
    WTB: a GM 6-coil pack (VT on), e34 sport seats and the services of a good spray-painter.

Just added more! See here for loads of parts and stuff for sale

This one has 78K Kms on it but I'm sure it was left idling, a lot as a cop bike.
    I'm not sure if the ABS motor runs all the time or just when you brake.
    The brushes were pretty big but looked to be just over 1/3 gone now.
    BMW E39 530i m-sport
    BMW R1200RTP 2007

Just an update. This fault came back. The plate that mounts the brushes is held down on the drive shaft with a bearing. That bearing is recessed so can't be pulled.
    I cut the bearing off with a dremel. Removed the brush plate from the shaft. Cut the brush carriers open with the dremel and pushed on a new bearing. It's fixed now.
    And I own a dremel. Still beats $4K for a new ABS.

The same ABS is used in ML series mercs. The motor on those is held on with 4 bolts and you can buy a new motor on ebay.
    It's a design fault.
    BMW E39 530i m-sport
    BMW R1200RTP 2007

Thread Information