Thread: Potential Interest - BMW E30 Adjustable Front 22mm Sway Bar (Custom), rears to match!

Exclamation Potential Interest - BMW E30 Adjustable Front 22mm Sway Bar (Custom), rears to match!

Well, I finally decided to stop threatening and get on with making a front 22mm sway bar for the E30. If you're interested, drop me a line.

As most of you know, I've been getting custom 16mm rear sway bars made for the last few years for the E30 Racing Car community and some interested ECCAers.

(For your viewing pleasure: http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php/38387 )

I'd been using the Whiteline 24mm/16mm bars on my E30 Racing Car for a while, but was looking for some other features in the bars. I got a prototype rear bar manufactured, tested out the sweep angle, link length, blade position etc. and then put it into production.

I then tested out a universal style sway bar bush & bracket for the Whiteline 24mm front bar. As many of you know, the original and aftermarket bars bind in the mounting bush as it is so wide. The universal style was narrower, didn't bind much, if at all.

Since that time (2010), we had a change in control tyre to the grippier Advan A050 (early 2012), and as a result we re-visited some aspects of the suspension setup. I'd felt at times that the 24mm front bar was too stiff for the required spring rate, but the factory 20mm wasn't quite enough. When I tested a modified (stiffer) 20mm recently (2013), my impressions were confirmed.

As a result I have prototyped a 22mm front bar with 3-hole adjustment to be trialled by one of the front-running E30 Racing Cars. Once we confirm no installation issues and a good adjustment range, I will be looking to put them into production.

It will mount in the standard location, with the standard links if desired. But the main advantage of using a 22mm bar is the availability of bolt-on mounts that replace the factory shackle setup. I will be happy to arrange the supply of these if people would like to avoid the 'difficult' installation process of urethane bushes in the shackle.

The bars can be powdercoated in either red or yellow, dependant on batches of five like last time. Pricing is TBC, but I will try to keep it around the same amount if not a bit cheaper this time around (it's a little less complicated and fewer prototypes - we hope).

We have a collection of race cars that are going to get suspension overhauls (updated springs/sways/bushes), so that's at least 3 spoken for. I also had a batch of rears made for these cars, and have a few yellow ones left over if you would like a matching set. Billet Ireland mounts are available on request.

As always, I also make some sway bar links that are adjustable and suit all 4 locations on the car. These are also made to order - if you're after some please give me a shout out.

Please send me a PM with name, address, contact phone and email; you can copy & edit these details in your PM so I have a good indication as to your preferences:

Front 22mm Bar: YES / NO
    Front Bar Colour: RED / YELLOW
    Front Bar Mounts: YES / NO
    Rear 16mm Bar: YES / NO
    Rear Bar Colour: RED / YELLOW
    Rear Bar Mounts: YES / NO
    Sway Bar Links: FOUR / TWO / NONE

Remember that whilst you're not committing to buy anything at this stage; I will make purchasing decisions based on what you would like. I will only go ahead with batch ordering if sufficient interest arises AND payment is received accordingly (as per the previous batch orders).

As I said before, get in quick!

Lightbulb Pictures, with mounts & links

Have now installed & checked - all GOOD! And with the narrower bolt on mounts it is both easier to fit and easier for the bar to rotate freely. Took less than 30 minutes total job time; anyone who's tried to install bigger sway bar bushes into the factory shackles will know that that's a very small amount of time!

Sway Bar & Mounts

Sway Bar Blade & Mount

Installed Blade & Link 1

Installed Blade & Link 2
    Last edited by djs325; 10-06-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Edited picture links

Well the feedback from my test driver was very positive; pretty neutral car balance on the A050s, much flatter cornering, rewards driving the car very carefully - hamfisted-ness trends towards minor exit oversteer (this was with Front Bar on soft and Rear Bar on medium). Lots of tuning available, with 3-holes front and 3-holes rear and mid-way adjustments possible for fine tuning.

I'm currently at 5 yellow and 3 red - if there are any other takers please get in touch soon!

Well the batch turned up on a pallet - that's how heavy those things are when shipped in bulk. First deliveries made in person to E30 Racing Cars at Phillip Island last night.

Another install on an E30 Racing Car this weekend, plus some for the fleet of cars I look after.

I may have ONE left if someone wants one...

Thread Information