Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: Project 1989 E30 335i coupe.

Nice! The 3.91 will be good - Jamjars' old car had a 3.91 open and it flew along pretty well.

Looking around the web at many threads on many different forums, I'm not sure anyone is paying the cash to photobucket.

luke wrote:Nice! The 3.91 will be good - Jamjars' old car had a 3.91 open and it flew along pretty well.

Looking around the web at many threads on many different forums, I'm not sure anyone is paying the cash to photobucket.
    Yep the diff was great in the 323i it should be outstanding with more hp availabe. I am concerned that I'm making too many changes at once here as it is but I have also noticed the CV shafts are still sitting beyond parallel to the ground. I'd like to add some extra rear ride height before the car is driven in anger again. I'm even tempted to replace the factory sway bar links, reinstall the stock sway bar, raise the rear ride THEN go to the next trackday before adding the 16mm sway bar into the mix.

IMG_2256.jpg

I had a slight coolant leak, pretty sure it was the water pump gasket judging by the corrosion on all the lower pump bolts. Old pump has a little play so I will replace it while I'm here.

Car went back together yesterday without a hitch.

I also reinstalled the mtech copy bar.

A pair of 195/60/15 maxxis cheapies were sourced for my skid wheels and fitted for the test drive (treadwear 400!!).

But the test drive was not so successful, under power the car emitted the same thumping vibration that I had attributed to the chunked out unbalanced tyres from the drift day shenanigans.

IMG_2270.jpgIMG_2264.jpgIMG_2265.jpg

I got under the car today and found all the stuffing sticking out of the guibo so it is a safe bet that my problem lies there.

Its next outing will be the QR midweek sprint next Wednesday so I ordered my new guibo from clickable today.

Now I wait.
    Last edited by Varden; 01-08-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Ouch - that guibo is toast. Did the clunk sound like it was coming from under the front seats Varden or the back?

I'm still chasing a clunk in mine that's only there sometimes - maybe I'll recheck the guibo (although I think it's probably the left side CVs in the rear as the right ones were clunking previously).

luke wrote:Ouch - that guibo is toast. Did the clunk sound like it was coming from under the front seats Varden or the back?

I'm still chasing a clunk in mine that's only there sometimes - maybe I'll recheck the guibo (although I think it's probably the left side CVs in the rear as the right ones were clunking previously).
    It was more of a thrumming vibration under heavy acceleration, there was also a whacking noise coming up through the floor but I think that was a stray pad wear sensor cable that had dislodged while i was doing the sway bar swap.

How are your subframe bushes?

In other news....

IMG_2271.jpg

Overnight guibo!

Thanks clickable!

Track day!

After all the last minute repairs and improvements the car made another successful journey to QR to complete its second sprint day of the year.

My sister booked this one weeks ago as soon as she had her e30 up and running again so I was committed to attend no matter what.

We rolled up at 11:30am to find the place packed with cars with only the pit bays with no roof left to claim. During driver briefing we were told there were 92 cars registered for the event meaning there would be 5 groups instead of the usual 3 groups. Some of the mid week regulars grumbled but at least it meant some rest between sessions even if it meant there would be no chance of extra sessions after the 4 timed sessions.

IMG_2278.jpgIMG_2279.jpg

No improvement over my last outing, car still nudged 180 kph down the front straight with the 3.9 gears but was singing in third gear on the exit of turn 5, might try 4th next time. Best time of 1.09.5888 for the day in first session. I was seeing so many faster cars in my mirrors that day I spent almost every lap waving people through when I should have just waited for them to hose me on the next available straight while I held my position in the turns. I think I only heard the rear sway bar thump against the bottom of the car once all day and in the last session I got a little braver and realised there was more grip to be had if I was more aggressive with it. I even managed a power slide out of turn 4 on the last warm down lap of the day.

Sister went well with a pb of 1.12.8803, not far off her 2012 effort of 1.11. She suffered fuel starve exiting turn 6 in her third session (fuel gauge might not be so accurate) but other than that her car didn't miss a beat.

IMG_2273.jpgIMG_2286.jpg

Next mods, rose jointed rear sway bar links to replace the overly long whiteline ones and I think its time for the BC 6kg rear springs to go.

Thread Information