Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 E30 318is window switch wiring

1990 E30 318is window switch wiring

Hi

So my power windows stopped working a few days ago, which is annoying because i can't drive anywhere where I have to park because the window is stuck down.
    I purchased a couple of new switches (Ronak brand) from BMA and received them today. The problem is I don't know which wire goes onto what terminal on both sides of the console.

Could anyone tell me which wire goes where?

bump
    I'm thinking it might be aftermarket or something, all of the wiring diagrams I have looked at have different coloured wires.

yup, that wiring is non standard.
    Wierd, because even if the e30 wasn't ordered with power windows, the factory at least installed the loom for the switches and motor connections.

Want to swap an original power window loom wiring for your seats?

Quote Originally Posted by mark_i View Post
    yup, that wiring is non standard.
    Wierd, because even if the e30 wasn't ordered with power windows, the factory at least installed the loom for the switches and motor connections.

Want to swap an original power window loom wiring for your seats?
    Hmm I thought so, that makes it annoying. All I need to do is at least get the window UP, I can't drive it to work the way it is now because it's stuck down.

And in response to your offer....i think i'll keep the seats

maybe the dude who wired up the windows used the euro style arrangement that allowed the windoews/sunroof to be closed when ignition OFF and a door open.

also note the colour/position of the wires on the driver side and swap switches.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_i View Post
    maybe the dude who wired up the windows used the euro style arrangement that allowed the windoews/sunroof to be closed when ignition OFF and a door open.

also note the colour/position of the wires on the driver side and swap switches.
    Yeah I tried just swapping the switch over when the old one stopped working, they must have both decided to die at the same time.
    I have checked the relay and the fuse so it can only be the switches.

i have the wiring diagram at home and cant remember exactly which went where. I will check tonight. E30's delivered to australia got funky electric wiring, atleast the 4 i have had with electric windows have. It was a dealerfitted option rather than factory, so the dealers had a retro fit kit they fitted when a customer specced in the windows....otherwise you would have to wait a few months for a car from germany

Two of those wires will go to the window motor, the black wire is one of them. Use you multimeter and find the two that have a resistance (or ones that are connected to each other through the window motor). One probe in the black then check the two red ones, the browns are ground so dont bother with them.

when you have the pair connected to the motor if you put 12 volts on them you will be able to make the window go up or down, depending which way you have them on the battery.

On the switch next to the terminals are little numbers, they are pretty hard to see, but when i have the wiring diagram you just match the numbers with colours.

My dealer kits have always used blue and black for the wires that go the motor in the door but anyway. Ill get back to you this evening

The way I've done it is by taking the door card off, and unplugging the loom to the window. Then hot wire the 2 wires till it closes.

Not all cars came with the elec window loom. My E reg touring doesn't have any wires under the console which means rewiring the back half of the car loom to get electric windows (It runs off the same loom for the rear hatch wiring and central locking. Pain in the Bum!)

alright i have the diagrams.

your 12volt feed (one of the red ones...it will be the one that isn't hooked up to the window motor) goes to the #3 terminal on the switch

the two grounds (brown) go to #4 and #5, order not important

and the motor wires go to #1 and #8. My diagram says blue or violet wire goes to #8 (im guessing this will be one of your red wires) and black to number #1. But just plug em up and try the window, if the switch is the wrong way just swap the two wires and it will be sweet.

Thanks alot for that man, really helped my figure out what wire does what lol.
    Unfortunatley using the switches still doesn't wind the windows up or down. Everything works (the motors, fuse and the switches themselves) but that power wire isn't delivering any current to the swtiches. This means I'm probably going to have to take apart the console and follow that wire to where I am assuming a connection has come loose or burnt out or something.
    Ah well, at least I have the bloody window closed now.

standard fuse is Fuse 17..should be 30 amp. is the circuit breaker not popped? should be on the centre console with the switches

Quote Originally Posted by e30guydownunder View Post
    standard fuse is Fuse 17..should be 30 amp. is the circuit breaker not popped? should be on the centre console with the switches
    Well that's the only thing I was thinking it could be, the circuit breaker. But I don't have one...
    I believe it's supposed to be next to the rear window demister but I have a little red light there instead. Fairly sure it's for the alarm system.

mine is down on the gear shifter trim infront of the window switch lol, freaking dealers

Quote Originally Posted by e30guydownunder View Post
    mine is down on the gear shifter trim infront of the window switch lol, freaking dealers
    Then maybe I do have one....somewhere

sounds like you'll be tracing wires...enjoy that, i've done more than my fair share in the race car.

Thread Information