Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Machine flywheel necessary?

Machine flywheel necessary?

Well as I continue to think of everything I need to have ready to try and do and engine swap in one weekend, today i thought more about my flywheel.

I'm guessing it's probably quite a good idea to get it machined while it's out hey???

Only one problem... I'm hoping to do it all in a weekend. Getting a flywheel machined on a weekend does sound too probable though.

Anyone got a spare M20 flywheel they want to get rid of?

If anyone can think of any other preventative maintenance that i should do in an engine swap, feel free to fire it at me....

I'm already planning on doing the clutch. Did the rear main seal last night. Will probably order a few new coolant hoses that run round up close to the firewall and the like.

I've read some recommend getting new flywheel bolts. I guess that can't hurt either.

What's this clutch alignment tool too? Will i need that?
    Currently selling my beloved E34 Manual Touring
    Beautiful car in excellent condition. Rare example of such a car in Oz

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Machine the flywheel. You don't want to have premature clutch failure. Why not get it machined during the week?

Get new bolts. Its not neccessary but if its all out why not. At the same time you can get pressure plate bolts too. Personally I don't really worry about them as they're not stretch bolts and if they look ok i tend to re use them (in my own cars that is).

You'll need a clutch alignment tool to get the friction plate aligned properly so you can put the gearbox in. Alternatively you can align it by eye, but if you have never done a clutch before i'd recommend getting the tool (its a special tool, you can get universal ones but they are usually crap).
    All your E28 are belong to us

Cheers mate

The reason I can't get the flywheel done during the week is that it's currently in my car (on the back of the M20B20). So its not real accessible at the moment. hehe

How much are these clutch alignment tools?
    I haven't actualy changed a clutch before, but i've done an engine swap once on my own, helped a mate do an engine swap, and also helped a mate change a gearbox over. I remember that being a MAJOR PITA getting the box back in. Spent so long trying to get the spline aligned again.

When i did the engine swap (in a Cressida), I changed the box over out of the car.
    Now I think of it, i wonder if it would be worth pulling the box and engine all out in one piece, then doing the clutch and all while it's out. I'm planning on doing the guibo and CSB bearing anyhow. So I guess i'm gonna have the tail shaft off anyhow.

How tight is it getting the box past the firewall????
    I know that's been the hard part in other cars i've done.

Well, in my E28 it wasn't too bad. I've only done it on a hoist though. The hard part is getting the splines to line up with the friction plate, and getting them in straight. If the clutch is aligned properly before hand, its pretty easy.

I don't know how easy/hard it is in an e30. And, I don't know if you can pull it all out in one piece either. I know with 535s you can't because the angles are all wrong (so I'm told, i've yet to tackle it on my car). And on newer bmws we either take it out from the bottom, or we take the box off and lift the motor out.

Don't know how much the clutch tool is, you'll have to look around. I don't really know where you'd get one either. Aligning it by eye isn't that hard, I did it on my vitara in my driveway first go. Feel the friction plate and the flywheel+pressure plate through the slots around the outside, you can sorta align it that way.

Hmm.. So you reckon leave the box in the car, and just pull the engine out?

Quote Originally Posted by e30_320i
    Hmm.. So you reckon leave the box in the car, and just pull the engine out?
    I'm guessing that the top two bellhousing bolts would be pretty tricky to get to without a hoist...

i would get your fly wheel face and lightened at the same time
    SLLIGH 1

Quote Originally Posted by mecmw
    I'm guessing that the top two bellhousing bolts would be pretty tricky to get to without a hoist...
    Harder than changing that stupid ball/socket joint T-piece part that goes onto the selector shaft on the top of the gearbox??? I swear that's the worst job i've ever done on a car.

Where does one get a flywheel machined? Do they balance it as well? Or just rely on factory balancing and machine it back as evenly as they can?

I'm now thinking that i'll take Friday off work and try and get it all out on Fri to get the flywheel machined, then i have all weekend to put it all back together.

Flywheel needs to be machined and balanced (well in non BMW's anyway) and NEVER, NEVER, reuse old bolts. Mechanics 101 as Americans say...s

Generally machining a flywheel does not include balancing. And I'm not sure I've seen someone balance a single mass bmw flywheel before either. Mine wasn't balanced, just machined. No vibrations. I re used old bolts too, with loktite ofcourse. Still going strong, though for piece of mind you may want to replace them.

sprintman what flywheels have you seen balanced? Were they dual mass flywheels?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    You can do the engine n box in one go in an e28, you have to pull the radiator out tho. In an e30 ive done m10 and auto still bolted together and from memory you can do the 325i and manual bolted together to.
    When i did my clutch an alignment tool came with the kit, but this doesnt always happen. Its easy enough without the tool, there will be three gaps round the sides of the pressure plate, bolt the pressure plate up and tighten til the clutch plate/disc is still moveable but stays when you take your fingers away. Using the three gaps move the disc so that its pretty much in the center, you should be able to feel the distances around the sides, and look at the splines as well. I hope that makes some sorta sense. With the motor and box out of the car it wont be to hard to get the box on anyway.
    To get the motor and box in you will have to get some crazy angles with the motor on the crane, it would be best to have someone else there to slowly drop the crane while you check clearances and guide it all in.
    Second hand/Skid tyres availble
    Want to sharpen your e30's steering? Pm me for a CNC'd steering coupler!
    SilverBullet

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    And i balance my flywheel when i got it lightened and machined, its single mass. You should balance the flywheel, but you should do it with the clutch disc and pressure plate as well. Unless you reving the absolute ringer out of the motor i dont think it would be absolutely nessesary tho.
    Second hand/Skid tyres availble
    Want to sharpen your e30's steering? Pm me for a CNC'd steering coupler!
    SilverBullet

Look I'm old school. I have no idea what a dual mass flywheel is so whether that should be machined is beyond me. But I do know you never re use old flywheel bolts.

According to realoem i have a dual mass flywheel.... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=11&fg=20

The main reason I was thinking it would be worthwhile getting it machined, is because a while ago my engine developed a bit of a shudder. It's directly related to engine revs (no, it's not drive train or gearbox related), and it's not any pulleys on the front of the engine. I thought i'd blown my engine, but it has full compression on all cylinders and still runs fine. So about the only place i can think something must be wrong is around the clutch/flywheel area. So since i'm replacing the engine and clutch, i thought i should machine the flywheel, coz i'd be kicking myself if i put it all back together and it still had a shudder, because i didn't machine the flywheel.
    As for how the flywheel may have magically become unbalanced... i have no idea. But hey, if it's all out, it makes sense to get it balanced to me.

However! Since it's a dual mass..... hmmmm??
    Surely clutch shops have seen dual-mass flywheels before and know what to do..??

Anyone know how much is a reasonable price to get one machined??

Thanks alot fellas!
    Appreciate the advice

(Changing a clutch is about the only thing i haven't done in a car yet, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible before getting stuck half way )

As an ex resident of Newcastle (RAAF Williamtown) I remember from the mid 70's there was an awesome machine shop there. So annoyed I cannot remember the name. They are nationally famous

Thread Information